FAUN TRACKWAY® RANKED #1 BY U.S. ARMY
Ranked number 1 by the U.S. Army, FAUN Trackway® is highly recommended to provide the runway solution of choice for Remote Piloted Aircraft (RPA), otherwise known as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones.
Ranked number 1 by the U.S. Army, FAUN Trackway® is highly recommended to provide the runway solution of choice for Remote Piloted Aircraft (RPA), otherwise known as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones. The recommendation follows independent testing at the Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC), Vicksburg U.S.A, to find the best commercial off the shelf matting system to support Reaper, Predator and support vehicle operations.
Both PSA Flat Top (PSA-FT), and PSA Flat Top – Reinforced (PSA-FT-R) passed the independent test requirements, with PSA FT-R achieving the accreditation as “the highest ranked mat system for RPA operations because of its ability to sustain both the RPA and support vehicle traffic with limited damage and deformation, and because of its ease of installation” [1. ERDC Evaluation of Expedient Surfaces for Remote Piloted Aircraft, December 2017].
The test program was solicited by the U.S. Air Force to find a system to improve operational effectiveness, with a light-duty expeditionary mat system to effectively support RPA operations while reducing the logistical footprint required to transport the surfacing system to the field.
Our PSA-FT and PSA FT-R were two of only four commercial products selected for full scale independent evaluation overseen by the U.S. Marines.
Each matting system was constructed, inspected and subjected to over 7,000 passes of simulated aircraft traffic movements. The overall ranking considered physical properties, installation, user feedback, and performance for mat damage and deformation.
KEY END USER CONSIDERATIONS
- POSITIONING - guaranteed row and column positioning, without “jiggling”, to reduce labour volumes and times.
- DEPLOYMENT – panels can be laid in any order; 16 personnel can lay 16 panels at the same time.
- LOGISTICS – lower weight per area for transporting to the field.
- HANDLING – Personnel are able to carry two or three panels at a time reducing operator fatigue.
- DESIGN – Panel joints allow for easy installation on uneven surfaces including areas with muddy or sandy conditions.
- ANCHORAGE – anchor panels are flush with the runway significantly decreasing erosion of local ground substrate.
Originating from PSA Trackway®, used from the late 1960’s for the UK MOD’s Hercules and Harrier airside operations, the Flat Top versions, PSA FT and PSA FT-R, came from redevelopment commissioned by the Australian Army, who later ordered PSA FT for UAV landing.
PSA FT is the first landing mat in the world designed to create runways for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle's (UAV) and drones.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Landing Mat’s (UAVLM) are assembled in a brickwork fashion to create a runway of any length and width; a complete runway can be assembled by an inexperienced team in less than 12 hours.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center, Rapid Airfield Damage Recovery Program, Evaluation of Expedient Surfaces for Remote Piloted Aircraft, December 2017; http://acwc.sdp.sirsi.net/client/default/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:297607/ada?rt=CKEY|||CKEY|||false